Monday, December 17, 2012

Key Note Book

 
My Dad sent us all an email stating he didn't want anything for Christmas. Well, how can I do that??? So rather than spending a bunch of money on something he doesn't really want, I thought I'd make him something. Something useful.
 
 
 
I used 3 precut chipboards and glued on some handsome paper, on 3 sides of it. I wanted to make the center piece to have a shadow box effect. Originally I set out to go buy some fun foam to create the depth I needed. But while looking for some at the dollar shop, I found this flexable cork board. It was perfect. Altho all the pieces, chipboard and cork had to be punched with the Zutter to get the binder holes in  them. The cork was too think, so I traced the hole and used an exacto knife to cut them out. It was the trickiest part of the whole project.
 
 
 
I chose some paper that had the same image as my centerpiece as my 4 piece, for the front cover. The paper came already heat embossed clear giving it that shiny effect. The centerpiece itselfwas bought individually at Michaels, and is a heavy metal.
 
 
2 of the precut chipboards where glued together for the base, and then covered with fancy paper. A piece of the same paper was used as the background for the center piece. I wanted the base to be very strong...to last a lot of usage. The 3rd piece was used as base to the cork on the front cover. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The center of the cork was cut out with an exacto knife as well as the key paper. Then all glued to the one piece of chipboard.
 
I painted the outside edges of the chipboard pieces and of the cork. I left the inside of the center piece cork showing. Just for fun. *if you prefer to paint it out, do it before you glue the pieces together.*
 
 
 
On the inside, I simply folded a piece of the same paper *again for some strength, and maybe I should add, that the paper itself is of good quality, nice and heavy*, measured the length across, cut and glued it in the middle of the inside. This will hold any note pads he wants to place in there. Sticky notes, or what I've used here....plain note paper, which I also picked up at the dollar store.  So the whole project can be refilled to his desire.
 
 
The backside was given a coat of glue and seal for protection and strength.
 
 
 
The notebook is about 7" long,
 
 
 
  
Simon Says Stamp Challenge: Giftspiration

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, a long lasting gift. I love the key, gives it a real vintage feel. Lovely idea too. Thanks so much for joining in the Simin Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I love your key note book! It's absolutely beautiful! Who would not love to receive THIS as a gift? Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great gift and the texture looks wonderful. Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete